Sunday, July 1, 2012

$5/day on food... is it possible?

After that wedding we went to last month, money is still a little tight. So I set a goal for this month - $5 spent on food each day - and now it's time to see if that's even possible. Again, I want to remind my readers that I'm in Canada - and if this is possible up here (which is a big "if" at the moment), it's possible in the States. A lot of things are cheaper down there. Even if it is possible, I'm going to try and pick up some odd jobs, since my job search is still failing pretty miserably and extra cash wouldn't hurt right now.

The first thing I'm going to try is crock pot bread. So stay tuned for an update on that. Bread is costing us $3.69 a loaf right now and we easily go through 8 loaves a month. I've got all the ingredients for bread already at home, so if this works and we like it we'll be saving $29.52 right there. If only I had a cow in the back yard, we could save another $40!

Anyways, I've made a list of the meat in my freezer (basically, a chicken, a roast and tons of ground beef) as well as the stuff that's on sale at our grocery store. Right now I'm searching for recipes using those ingredients, since the only thing I know how to cook for less than $5 is pasta, and no matter how many variations of pasta I can make I don't plan on having that for both lunch and dinner every day. There will be lots of pancakes, muffins and french toast for breakfast this month, but I don't think anyone will complain.

So I'm off to start meal planning, and I'll be back to show you what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment